Saturday, August 23, 2008

Filling & Faking

My day unexpectedly freed up today, so I put the filler on the porch posts.



This filler epoxy was smelly. But it definitely had a longer pot life than the bondo type filler. This goes into the list of "tedious" jobs. I'm not sure I have the skilled hand to recreate some of the lost profile - at least not well. But I have a feeling it's one of those things that people won't even notice unless they're investigating close up.

And what would my weekend be without at least one tangential project?
The other thing I played with today after I finished filling, was the brackets on the bay window. If you've been reading this, you may recall my earlier post obsessing over the colors around the window. Well, the brackets have continued to bug me, so I finally got some new light green paint and did a test. Here's what it looks like close up:



My attempt was to fake some relief and to make it so that the brackets didn't just look like bland and awkward additions. I think it worked pretty well. It got too dark, so I wasn't able to finish all of them tonight... just gives me something else to work on tomorrow.

3 comments:

alisa and sometimes brandon said...

Oh I definitely think that helped the look of the brackets.

So, I took on a small, menial project today...painting a second-hand filing cabinet. And now my first finger is numb from the spray nozzle (and I'm not even finished!). I started way too late in the day, ran out of primer, and it started raining.

My respect for your renovating has quadrupled today. :)

Gabriella said...

Oh sanding. I have no helpful hints. I hate sanding a LOT. I love the light green stripes on the brackets. It really makes them pop!

Stacey Lund-Walker said...

I was supposed to help you out with the colors. I've been a bad sister.