Wednesday, April 30, 2008

School got the best of me

I highly underestimated the amount of time that I needed to spend on my group projects for school. So what's new? - Just another over-filled buffet plate... So while I didn't get anywhere near completing my pre-weekend list of projects (I didn't even get any laundry done), I did get to work a little bit on porch projects.

Balusters - I drilled holes in about 10 more of these, but didn't do any scroll saw work. I am still trying to figure out a good way to drill the holes - evenly & without too much breakage on the back of the boards. I'm a little better with just technique, but I might have to break down and buy a drill press.

Paint removal - it was a little chilly to do any heat methods of paint removal on the posts, but I pulled out the trusty Paint Shaver Pro and went to work on the beams. I hadn't fully removed the nails left from the porch enclosure, so I took care of that. There were also screwed in hooks about every 6 inches. It makes me wonder what they used so many hooks for.


I absolutely love my Paint Shaver Pro. It's so fast, and it gets it so clean. I am however filthy and my arms are tired as I'm doing it, but I don't care because it goes so fast. Here's the after shots, taken just a little later that afternoon:


I can't get that one span above the steps because my short ladder is too short and my tall ladder is too tall. As I was staring at the situation trying to figure out what to do, somebody drove by and stopped to see if they could help. I should have taken him up on his offer -- poor sucker, he had no idea what he was really asking! He probably thought I was just trying to get leaves out of the gutter or something. John across the street yelled over, "I've been here 20 years and no one has asked if they could help me!"

Unfortunately for me, the Paint Shaver Pro doesn't work on turned beams, so they will just have to wait for a warmer, school-free weekend.


The best was that Jim came home and started talking to me, then told me that I had a piece of paint on my eye. Sure enough, it was right on top of my contact lens. I felt something a little scratchy, but hadn't gotten to clean up mode yet. Those paint chips go EVERYWHERE. I swear, I wear a respirator and safety glasses, and I'm not sure how much it helps...

The other big house news is that Jim's parents gave us their old dining room table and chairs. I guess they found something new that they wanted. They actually work out perfectly. (And look a lot better than the old door on top of saw horses) It makes it look like people really live here instead of just occupy the space for renovation projects...

6 comments:

Gabriella said...

The new dining table is so pretty!

Robin said...

I remember the old door on saw horses. Much improved! But it gave it a kind of charm...

I am just in awe every time I read your blog--I would just wait until I had thousands of dollars lying around (which is exactly why our house still looks like it is 1/2 finished in every room) and buy them. I am a menial labor kind of girl. Bravo!

Unknown said...

Thanks Gaby & Robin! I have to give credit to my in-laws for giving us something so pretty - that hutch also came from them.

And Robin, you sneaky lurker! I didn't realize you were reading this! yay!

Anonymous said...

Tiffany! You are one busy bee! Great to see your blog here.
This is Marianne, by the way, from the Philippines. Remember me, Lund? hahahahahaha

Unknown said...

Hi Marianne! Great to hear from you!!! Sarah mentioned you were looking for me!

Marianne Leila said...

yup! i'm on facebook.com, under Leila Flores. :-)