Back in October we got some first round floor plans from Michael Gelb. Here is the first floor:
You'll notice first the front of the house stays as it currently exists.
Then you walk back into the kitchen/dining. These plans also have only a half wall between the kitchen and the front living area.
Then you walk back into an area I will call the "back foyer". Here on the left is a door out to the driveway. And on the right is the elevator.
From there, you can either go down an interior ramp on the left, or head down a short, wide hallway to an accessible 1/2 bath on the right, and a play/therapy room at the end of the hallway.
If you go down the interior ramp, you end up in a mudroom with cubbies, storage, and a dog worthy shower. The stairs to the basement are also located in the mudroom, as well as a door directly into the garage.
And here is the second floor:
On the second floor, the front bedroom (currently our master bedroom) stays the same, and Morty's current bedroom stays the same. However, that's about all that's the same.
Where the bathroom is becomes a hallway that goes back and then turns to the right. From there you can go through a door into the accessible "Morty bath" or make a left to go down the hallway with the elevator on the right.
If you continue through the door at the end of that hallway, you enter into the new master suite. There on the left is a walk-in closet, and on the right is the master bath (notice this is the new home for our existing clawfoot tub)
Then past the bath and closet is the master bedroom. At the back of the bedroom is a french door that leads out onto a deck.
We have a bunch of changes that we want to make to this plan including the following layout items:
- Kitchen - needs more room between the island and cabinets for accessibility - willing to take out the 1/2 wall and rearrange the island
- Kitchen - include an area with an open lowered counter, so that Morty has his own kitchen prep space.
- Kitchen - pantry can be moved to the understair hutch location (this is currently a poorly built hutch)
- Playroom - close off the back wall to meet with the front of the closet. Then there is space for a stackable washer & dryer in the mudroom
- Morty's Bath - the shower is too small and needs to be bigger to accommodate a bath chair and a care attendant
We met with Michael and went over some of these things. He has been working on round 2 draft, entering it into a CAD program, and doing elevations. We also had to get a plot plan re-done to add in the garage (we had plans made before the garage was built, but didn't have the garage in there at the time, obviously)
Meanwhile, Jim and I have begun a lot of thought on more of the details. Jim researches heating options and scours Craiglist to find windows and boilers. I obsess over things like flooring and tile and other finishes. More detail on these things to come...