Thursday, February 21, 2008

What's my Home Worth?

We're currently in the process of re-financing the house. When I bought it 4 years ago, I got a 5 year adjustable rate, not really knowing how long I'd be in the house. Now with the current state of the mortgage industry, my loan adjusting in a year, and knowing I'll be here for a while, I decided to take advantage of refinancing now, while the gettin's good. I did a bunch of shopping around, and ended up with a Wachovia referral from Lending Tree (I highly recommend using them, if for nothing else but to get several comparable offers).

Today was the appraisal. Living in a fixer-upper, the appraisal makes me kinda nervous. The guy said at the end that usually he likes to give an approximation while he's at the house, but he didn't really know what to give me; he'd have to investigate more first!

We do have some good points going for us with all the upgrades
-Electricity up to 200 Amps
-Wood floors refinished
-bathrooms gutted and remodeled
-New gutters & facia
-Icynene insulation added to the walls
-new kitchen countertop
-the attic spaces he referred to as "expansion potential"

However
-it's still mid-repair for the exterior (this is the biggest mystery factor)
-the house layout is weird - the room behind the bathroom can't be counted as a bedroom
-oh, and there's that medium sized tree that fell down into our yard over the weekend

He did mention that it looked like we were really trying to do a quality job with the renovations, and not just purchasing cheap stuff from Home Depot.

So still nervous about the results, I did a little investigation on Zillow.com to try and find out if my initial estimates were anywhere near the mark.
I think from checking these places out, I'm in a general ballpark, but the "unfinished" factor could be perhaps a 25,000 to 50,000 difference... or more???

No comments: